Ted Talks -How Games Make Children Smarter

     "How games make children smarter" This video presentation shows that gamification is a great avenue-tool to use in promoting student learning, even though, some of the researchers believe that games are not teachable tools to increase children's intelligence. Additionally, in this video by, Zichermann - Gamification captured my interest and a question arises; how can games help students to be smarter? While watching the video, one of the examples caught my attention. The educator, named Mr. Ananth Pai used a game-based curriculum to increase student achievement in math and language arts. According to Mr. Zichermann, Mr. Pai was able to achieve excellent results in the performance of his students from lower- third grade to mid-fourth grade in math and language arts components within a time period of 18 weeks. The student’s engagement increases because they found the interactive curriculum more fun. Zichermann, believes that Gamification is a vital tool to improve learning and thinking in children as well as adults.  

     In my opinion, at the beginning of the presentation, I was a little biased about "How games make children smarter". However, after the testimony by Mr. Ananth Pai, I have come to believe that games help students to be more active thinking learners.  I too believe that when students are given more interactive choices, they are prompt to respond better. Other questions arise. Do computer games actually help with social interaction rather than deter from it? What is the teacher’s role? What best prepares the student for life as an adult? These are serious questions that should weigh heavily on every educator.

    During my class, I utilize two supplemental programs; Imagine Reading and Fast-Forward. These programs have reading stories embedded. The student is required to make use of Chromebooks to access the program. However, I am the primary source. While students are working on their Chromebooks, I am using the Promethean Board to present the lesson in either in traditional format or by PowerPoint. However, I make sure that the following pointers are met every day:  Greet each other, facilitate a conversation where the student feels welcome, encourage students to share what they know, participate by asking questions, participation, collaboration, checking for understanding, read aloud their responses, listen to the teacher, and collaborate orally, encourage students to debate and focus on the question, just to name a few. Although, the students are using a computer lab in other classes as well in some core courses.

Below is the description of the supplemental programs:

Imagine Reading – 30 minutes every day. The teacher is modeling the lesson. https://www.imaginelearning.com/

Fast-ForWord – Reading Assistant 30 minutes every day. The teacher monitors the students diligently providing assistance as needed.   https://sso.scilearn.com/cas/login?service=https://sso.scilearn.com

What is Fast-ForWord – Reading Assistant?

This program provides a solid base for students to learn about and practice the English language.

What is Imagine Reading? This program empowers students to become independent readers with rigorous age-appropriate content.


    Teachers have a great challenge.  Flipping the classroom can allow for a much deeper and richer educational experience, but in order to provide this experience, teachers must both learn new skills and redefine old ones, my case. The new program I am going to use in my class is Off2Class.  This program is great for students that are learning a Second Language but can be utilized in regular classrooms as well. In addition, I am going to implement the Flipgrid, bloggers, Nearpod, and any other tool learning in this class that will be a great benefit for both, students, and myself. 

Comments